Report this post
Me:
- Amateur
- Left-handed
- Has limited options due to location and price, will buy a rarely-used one
- Never did digital art and never used a graphic tablet before

My options:
- Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen&Touch (medium)
- Wacom Intuos Art Pen&Touch CTH-490 (medium)
- Huion H950P

The price difference is affordable for me, but I don't want to go over my head and buy something too advanced for my current skill(less) level? But of course I want it to be durable and still up to my expectations when I get better eventually. I can't afford to buy a new one in 5-10 years, so I have to choose wisely ; - ;

Please share your opinions & experiences if you used one of these, or feel free to suggest another affordable option

Posted November 15 2018, 12:40 am
Edited November 15 2018, 10:40 am by ourobouros
AstrapiDappletail
(Member)

Nickname: Astrapi~

Report this post
I myself use an Intous Art pad Pen+Touch, but I'm unsure what size it is. Its easy to use and comes with a free software that would usually cost a lot. It is quite affordable although i don't recommend getting a used one. I have had mine since i was 10 (4 years) and it still works as well as the day i got it. It is easy to use once you've got the hang of it. My friend has come to my house a couple of times, shes left-handed, and she can use it fine. The only problem is touch though, because if you use the pen in touch mode, you often get some random lines appearing. Other that that, its great!

Check out My DragCave Scroll! https://dragcave.net/user/DeadlyNadder5555 My Roblox: Dappled_Leaf My Minecraft: LeStaplezOGalaxy Avatar is by happyrave on PFQ, made for me and used with permission

Posted November 18 2018, 12:36 am
DarkSunshine92
(Administrator)

Nickname: Dark, Darkums, Darkyboo, Darky or SunnyD

Report this post
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo2_400.png

When I started drawing digitally about 10 years ago with a tablet, I started with a small Wacom Bamboo tablet. It was not too expensive and it helped me a lot with getting better and understanding more of drawing digitally ^^

Today I mainly switch between a Wacom Intuos Pro medium tablet and my iPad pro for drawing (depending on where I am if I can use my laptop or not).

From my experience, I recommend going for a Medium Wacom Bamboo if you're just starting out as a digital artist. Medium size is better for drawing in my experience as I myself tend to easily get an inflammation in my arm if I only use a small tablet.

Why Bamboo? Bamboo is a good tablet for artists who is starting with digital art and is usually also cheaper :)

I thought I'd also add a little about the program you can use for drawing. There are lots of free software when it comes to drawing and I've tried a lot of them. If you can't afford buying a drawing software, then these are fine (examples of free software is Krita, Gimp or FireAlpaca).

Personally, I started with Gimp, but after learning more about the different kinds of software, I tested some things out and found that Paint Tool SAI was way better for just drawing. :) SAI is not free, but it does not cost a whole lot either. When I bought it, I think I only paid about 47 USD for it which is not too bad for a good software ^^

Today however, I have stopped using SAI entirely, and only use Clip Studio Paint. This is a pretty expensive program, so I do NOT recommend it for people who are just starting :)

SAI however is highly recommended, even if it's not for free, it's very good when it comes to drawing ^^

I hope this helps a bit :D
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo1_400.png
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo3_400.png

Boo

Posted November 18 2018, 4:54 am
ourobouros
(Member)

Report this post
Thank you both for your answers!

While I was impatiently waiting for advice, I found out that Huion is on thanksgiving sale and thought I can give it a shot. *shy*

Unfortunately the Wacom Intous Art and Intous Pro both are really expensive here. The only option for me to get one of them is to find a used one :(
I also kind of eliminated getting a used tablet, because a new Huion was actually cheaper and seemed to have better/good enough features o.O A few youtubers I follow also have Huion so I trusted them, hope for no regrets! *fingerscrossed*

For the software I definitely will go for a free one xD Krita is frequently suggested and has guides in their own site, so it seems nice ^^

Posted November 18 2018, 1:07 pm
DarkSunshine92
(Administrator)

Nickname: Dark, Darkums, Darkyboo, Darky or SunnyD

Report this post
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo2_400.png

I've never tried the Huion tablet myself, but I do hope it works well for you :D
Good luck! ^^
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo1_400.png
tumblr_pk5v2pkzUt1uhfbxpo3_400.png

Boo

Posted November 19 2018, 2:05 am
Vyrie
(Member)

Nickname: Vyr, Ushio, Mooshio

Report this post
vector_panda-peek.png?raw=1
The Huion H950P looks pretty good. Hope you'll like it! I've never seen another brand besides Wacom that has battery-free pens with their graphics tablets. So I guess Wacom's patent on the technology may have expired not too long ago, and/or competitors are starting to catch up.

I have a small Wacom Bamboo Splash tablet that I bought five years ago. It has a lot of scratches, and I carried it around in my backpack a lot when I was a student. It still works, and I've never had any hardware-related issues with it. It's quite basic though; no eraser, tilt sensitivity, touch functionality, or buttons on the tablet.
vector_super-panda.png?raw=1
12070540.gif12070725.gif11520887.gif11486097.gif

Posted November 19 2018, 5:12 pm
Edited November 19 2018, 5:13 pm by Vyrie
ourobouros
(Member)

Report this post
Thank you Vyrie, I hope everything goes well and I'll like it too. ^ - ^
Wacom is a really known brand when it comes to tablets but I definitely noticed different brand names with seemingly good products when I was searching! Good to have more variety of choices

Posted November 20 2018, 2:35 am
Return to Forum List | Go back to Critiques and Advice
You must be registered to post on this site.

Friday September 20 2019 3:19 am
9 users online | About Us | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

All original content on clickcritters.com, dinomon.com, flyffables.com is (c) 2007-2019 Internoodles Limited
All other copyrighted characters are copyrighted by their respective licence holders. We are only a fan site and do not claim ownership of any licensed characters we draw.